domingo, 11 de mayo de 2014

The past perfect tense



The positive - make it with 'had' + the past participle (usually made by adding 'ed' to the infinitive, but a few verbs have irregular past participles)
The short form for 'had' is 'd
  • I had been (I'd been)
  • You had gone (you'd gone)
  • She had met (she'd met)
(Be careful not to confuse it with 'would'. Would is followed by the infinitive - 'I'd go', whereas had is followed by the past participle - 'I'd gone').
For the negative just add 'not':
  • I had not been (I hadn't been)
  • And to make a 'yes / no' question put 'had' before the subject:
    • Had I come?
    • Had you eaten?
    • Had she gone?
    For 'wh' questions put the question word at the beginning:
    • When had I come?
    • Why had you eaten?
    • Where had she gone?
    • When had it rained?
    • How had we met?
Finally here's an exercise about past perfect questions. Go to:  http://www.montsemorales.com/gramatica/PastPerfect1.htm

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario